“Women belong in all places where decisions are being made. It shouldn’t be that women are the exception.” — Ruth Bader Ginsburg, USA Today interview, 2009
Unfortunately, given my mom‘s circumstances, I find that I will not be able to throw my hat in the ring for another term as president. This is a vital position, and we are looking for someone to fill it starting this July for 2026-2027. And it can be a co-presidency. I will be around to offer my support as the current past president, and while there are some duties that are of necessity, you would not need to do the job in the same way that I did it! You as the person (or persons) stepping into the position would be able to make it your own.
And you would not be alone. Several current officers and board members from this past year are willing to continue in their current roles. Jenny Lapidus has indicated her interest in continuing as secretary, Gail Wakefield as membership VP, and DD Patrick as treasurer. These are the main elected roles. Erin will stay on as newsletter and website coordinator, Shelly as communications coordinator, and others, too. Thank you to all who will continue in these critical roles. I will also continue in various support roles – as AAUW Funds contact, as our Cal Poly liaison from the branch, as the Cal Poly scholarship coordinator, as the diversity contact, and as the public policy/advocacy contact, though I’m happy to share these responsibilities with any interested others! And a special thank you to our nominating committee, DD Patrick, Susan Updegrove, and Gail Wakefield, who reached out to verify those who will continue and to identify two new additions to the leadership team: Cheryl Vines who will serve with Gail as a membership co-VP and Nancy Pinkel who will shadow DD in her role as treasurer/finance VP.
April marks Sexual Assault Awareness Month. A bombshell that was dropped at the end of the month of March was the coming forward of women who were molested, raped, or sexually assaulted by Cesar Chavez, including Dolores Huerta who is recognized as a co-founder of the farmworker movement. As someone who has met and interacted with Dolores Huerta and admired her for the longest time, I fully support her and the other women who have come forward. I am also proud of the Latino community for making it clear that Chavez is no longer the hero we had believed him to be. The swift and immediate reaction to demanding the removal of his name from buildings and schools and streets, as well as renaming, and, I would hope, eventually moving the day that will become a workers celebration day, is also in the works. You can read Ms. Huerta's full statement here, though be forewarned that it does contain references to sexual violence.
![]() |
Debra and Dolores Huerta at Cal Poly in May 2018 |
To end with words of hers that serve here to bookend those of Justice Ginsburg:
We do need women in civic life. We do need women to run for office, to be in political office. We need a feminist at the table when decisions are being made so that the right decisions will be made.
SÍ, se puede!
Debra Valencia-Laver
President

