As another school year begins we have a new group of students selected for our Cuesta Re-entry Scholarships. These are people who are over the age of 25 and who have had to interrupt their education to deal with family, financial and other challenges.
In future newsletters I will speak more about the students who were chosen. For now, I want to share with the Branch a Thank-you letter I received from one of the students picked this year. She addressed the letter to me, but it is meant for the entire Branch. You can see what a difference AAUW-SLO is making in the lives of those trying to better their situation. It brings me great joy to know that we are positively impacting lives in our community.
Here is the letter:
Hi,
I am writing to express my deepest gratitude for awarding me the $2,000 scholarship. I am so mad at myself for missing the opportunity to tell you in person. Words cannot fully convey how much this generosity means to me and my family.
At 43 years old, I have returned to school during one of the most challenging times of my life. After enduring a difficult divorce, experiencing homelessness, and becoming a single mother with little to no support, there were moments when continuing my education seemed impossible. Yet through every hardship, I held on to the belief that education would provide a path toward a better future for myself and my children.
Receiving this scholarship is more than financial assistance. It is hope. It is encouragement. It is a reminder that there are people who believe in students like me and are willing to invest in our dreams. Your generosity will help relieve some of the financial burden of pursuing my education and allow me to focus more fully on achieving my academic and career goals.
I will never forget this kindness or where I came from. The struggles I have faced have shaped me into a stronger, more resilient person, and they have deepened my appreciation for opportunities such as this one. Your support has given me renewed confidence that I can overcome adversity and create a stable, successful future for my family.
Please know that your investment is making a meaningful difference in my life. I am committed to working hard, succeeding in my studies, and using my education to build a better future. My hope is that one day I can give back to others who find themselves facing challenges similar to those I have overcome.
Thank you for your generosity, your belief in education, and your belief in students like me. I am truly honored to be a recipient of your scholarship and will carry this act of kindness with me for the rest of my life.
With heartfelt gratitude,
Amy Mayfield
Hi,
I am writing to express my deepest gratitude for awarding me the $2,000 scholarship. I am so mad at myself for missing the opportunity to tell you in person. Words cannot fully convey how much this generosity means to me and my family.
At 43 years old, I have returned to school during one of the most challenging times of my life. After enduring a difficult divorce, experiencing homelessness, and becoming a single mother with little to no support, there were moments when continuing my education seemed impossible. Yet through every hardship, I held on to the belief that education would provide a path toward a better future for myself and my children.
Receiving this scholarship is more than financial assistance. It is hope. It is encouragement. It is a reminder that there are people who believe in students like me and are willing to invest in our dreams. Your generosity will help relieve some of the financial burden of pursuing my education and allow me to focus more fully on achieving my academic and career goals.
I will never forget this kindness or where I came from. The struggles I have faced have shaped me into a stronger, more resilient person, and they have deepened my appreciation for opportunities such as this one. Your support has given me renewed confidence that I can overcome adversity and create a stable, successful future for my family.
Please know that your investment is making a meaningful difference in my life. I am committed to working hard, succeeding in my studies, and using my education to build a better future. My hope is that one day I can give back to others who find themselves facing challenges similar to those I have overcome.
Thank you for your generosity, your belief in education, and your belief in students like me. I am truly honored to be a recipient of your scholarship and will carry this act of kindness with me for the rest of my life.
With heartfelt gratitude,
Amy Mayfield
Diane Howard
Chair, Cuesta Re-entry Scholarship Committee
Chair, Cuesta Re-entry Scholarship Committee